JOB DESCRIPTION – ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Location: Fully remote work with occasional travel for retreats, conferences, and some team/partner events if desired. All travel costs are employer-paid. Candidates must reside in or commit to relocate to a metropolitan area with access to transportation hubs, printing, mailing, and other infrastructure. TCI is headquartered in Brookline, MA (Boston metro area), and preference might be given to those who live in or near Boston.
Reports to: Director of Operations
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with preference given to applications submitted before March 17th, 2023
Start Date: May 1st, 2023
True Costs Initiative (TCI)
True Costs Initiative seeks to increase corporate accountability and strengthen legal systems in the Global South by driving collaboration among communities, funders, and creative leaders to tip the balance so corporations are held accountable for and internalize the true environmental and human costs of their business activities. True Costs Initiative (TCI) accomplishes its unique vision by supporting and fostering strategic collaborations and partnerships with communities affected by corporate footprint. We recommend funding to nonprofits that advance corporate accountability and robust legal systems, support the use of media to drive transparency in corporate accountability, and foster the generation and implementation of ideas for creative leaders in the business and human rights field.
Here at TCI, we embrace a culture where we appreciate each other’s contributions, support each other’s growth and development, and encourage learning and unlearning. Our team members embrace and embody the organizational values, including high levels of trust, mutual accountability, and respect. We care for each other.
Administrative Assistant (AA) Overview
TCI’s AA is a dependable, conscientious, and passionate team member who embraces and embodies TCI’s organizational values and cares for our grantee partners and the communities we support. The AA pays strict attention to detail and can focus when doing tasks that may be repetitive. They are a creative problem-solver who is flexible and can nimbly move between roles and tasks as necessary for a tiny, mighty team of six people. As with all TCI team members, the AA is reflective, reliable, and eager to learn. They enjoy stepping up to support team members, have a good sense of humor, and can appreciate nuance and subtleties in our work. Above all, the AA values kindness, rest, and well-being while holding high expectations for self and others.
The AA’s main role is to provide administrative support to the Executive Director (ED) and they recognize that while they may adjust their work hours and have flexibility to run personal errands throughout the workday, the AA is ultimately held accountable to the ED and must accommodate the ED’s working hours and needs as necessary. Although the AA works fully remotely, they must have access to infrastructure such as proximity to post offices, print shops, and transportation hubs so that they can conduct all tasks that require such infrastructure such as printing and mailing for the ED and TCI team.
As TCI’s first AA in this newly created position, the AA will be able to shape and grow within the role depending on their skills and interests. This may include greater responsibility and room for leadership within TCI’s operational and administrative infrastructure, such as compliance, human resources, finance, information technology, data, event planning and logistics, project management, vendor management, research, and special projects. TCI’s Administrative Assistant is our reliable support, constant learner, and essential team member!
Roles and Responsibilities
Supporting the Executive Director
- Fully manage ED’s calendar and fulfill scheduling requests for ED
- Manage ED’s travel plans, including flight and lodging
- Manage ED’s purchasing, mailing, and other administrative/office needs
- Completely manage ED’s expense tracking in TCI’s expensing system
- Provide ED with pre-call materials and summaries as requested
- Edit and jazz up presentations for ED
- Take notes for ED when appropriate (webinars, meetings)
- Translate ED’s project plans into project management systems
- Support ED in other administrative duties as needed
General Administrative Support
- Make reservations for TCI team’s office needs; maintain, organize, and purchase office materials and supplies, and engage with building administration and facilities as needed
- Manage packages, mailing checks, and gift-giving to speakers for events hosted by TCI
- Manage scheduling and communications for team special projects that involve the AA
- Manage TCI contact lists, holiday card lists, and other lists as needs arise
- Assist in logistics for TCI’s Fellowship Program and Fellowship Conference
- Assist other team members in relevant logistics for other TCI programs
- Manage TCI’s internally driven impact
- Manage notes, learnings, and materials for TCI team whenever possible (when AA is also joining those meetings)
- Lead logistics, compile agendas, and manage communication for weekly team meetings
- Work with relevant team members to provide Board Meeting presentations and other materials for the ED
- Provide support needed by TCI Team to advance TCI’s work
- Provide any and all administrative support to the ED to allow her to focus on visioning for TCI
- Assist with data entry, cleaning, and governance for reporting, expense tracking, and for The Fifth Quarter Program applications
- Assist in securing contracts, agreements, payment information, tax documentation, and communications with vendors and consultants
- Assist in logistics and coordination for conferences, retreats, site visits, events (ex: making purchases and reservations)
- Track key organizational documents and ensure organization of Dropbox
- Ensure data governance (spelling, catch and fix errors, adhere to parameters set by Director of Operations and Senior Program Officer)
- Support and collaborate with Program Team for special projects
- Track relationships from ED’s trips and follow up as needed
- Conduct paperwork to receive funds for TCI speaking engagements and consulting services
- Write and conduct paperwork for grant reports for grants that TCI receives
- Assist in creating team “joy,” especially for fully remote team
Qualifications and Experience
- 1-2 years of professional experience in administrative or similar role
- High school degree or High School Equivalency/GED required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Interest in nonprofits, philanthropy corporate accountability, environmental rights, and/or human rights
- Conscientious organizer
- High attention to detail, the type to “triple-check everything”
- Can focus on multiple tasks with some interruption, understands how to plan and prioritize based on diverse needs of the organization
- Can work autonomously and does not require follow-ups from supervisors and other team members
- Skilled in working across cultures and geographies with the ability to communicate effectively with audiences of various backgrounds and perspectives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative thinker who can quickly turn ideas into action
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity and quality standards
- Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze and think critically
- Demonstrates the flexibility, accountability, and team-orientation needed to thrive in a small and dynamic team environment
- Good sense of humor
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and willing to learn other tools implemented at TCI
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $45,000-$55,000. With full transparency, candidates with 0-1 years of experience in the same role can expect the lower end of the range, and candidates with 2+ years of experience in the same role can expect the higher end of the range.
- Annual Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) and annual merit raises depending on performance
- Health and Wellness Stipend of $1,600 per year
- Professional Development Entitlement of $1,500 per year
- 100% Employer-paid health insurance
- 100% Employer-paid vision insurance
- 100% Employer-paid dental insurance
- 100% Employer-paid life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance
- 401k with 4% matching after 6 months of service
- Fully remote work with employer-paid occasional/quarterly travel
- Flexible work hours. Standard work hours are 9am-5pm EST with variation and flexibility as expected due to timelines, traveling requirements, and project cycles.
- Relocation and transportation stipend
- 14 days of paid holidays per year
- 20 days (4 weeks) of Paid Time Off per year
- 5 days for bereavement or ED-approved personal events per year
- 3 Mental Health Days per year
- 3 “Summer Fridays” off per year
- Quarterly “Flex Weeks” with reduced work hours (4 hours/day)
- 8 weeks of paid parental leave after 1 year of service
- Reproductive health travel reimbursement
- Fully paid sabbatical of 1-2 months or partially paid sabbatical of 3 months after 5 years of service
- As an organization that values its employees, TCI is always looking for ways to provide additional benefits to employees within budget. The AA will have the opportunity to contribute and suggest additional benefits to the Director of Operations.
How to Apply and What to Expect
- Application: Please email 1) one writing sample, 2) list of three references, 3) resume, and 4) cover letter to email@example.com. Applications without all four components will not be considered.
- Round 1 Virtual Interview: 8-10 candidates will be chosen for Round 1 interviews on a rolling basis with preference to those who submit full applications before March 17th. The interview will consist of a 45-minute virtual Zoom interview, camera on, and a live 30-minute writing portion.
- Round 2 Final In-person Interview: 3-5 candidates will be chosen for Round 2 interviews. This interview will be in-person at our office in Brookline, MA (Boston metro area) with all travel costs reimbursed. It will consist of 60 minutes with the full TCI Team and 30 minutes with the Executive Director and Director of Operations.
- Reference Checks: 2 candidates will be chosen from Round 2 and TCI will contact the references listed in the candidates’ applications.
- Background Check: 1 candidate will be offered the position contingent on background check clearance.
TCI is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment and fostering belonging among all employees.